Episode 8 : New York Street Vendor
Every day, New Yorkers flock to their favorite street vendors for affordable sustenance. As Bob will learn, running these carts is like being a maître d', chef, server and dishwasher - all at once. In this episode, Bob has just four days to learn the ins and outs of the street vendor business before taking the reigns of his own hot cart it the bustling intersection of 40th Street and 8th Avenue for a day. Strict licensing, food regulations, harsh weather, long hours, territorial vendors and abrasive customers are just some of the hardships Bob will have to endure. If he can't beat the earnings of the cart's owner on a top selling day, he’ll have to pay up.
Bob’s Own Chinese Sno-cones
- 1 cooked chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 1¼ cups of peanut oil, divided
- 16 3½-inch square wonton wrappers (4 are back-up)
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 cups of sliced and finely grated Napa cabbage (about ½ head)
- 1 cup of sliced and finely grated radicchio (about ½ head)
- ½ cup of coarsely chopped roasted, unsalted cashews
- 1⁄3 cup of chopped canned mandarin slices
- ¼ cup of stemmed and finely sliced cilantro
- 2 green onions, sliced finely Red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, set out 1 cup of peanut oil along with a small pastry brush.
3. On a baking sheet, set out 12 paper sno-cones.
4. Trim outer edge of wonton wrappers so that it resembles a baseball infield (stack first so that they can all be cut at once).
5. Brush both sides of each wrapper with peanut oil.
6. Wrap 1 wrapper around each cone and press seams together.
7. Twist the bottom to a point.
8. Bake for 7 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
9. When cones cool, twist them off the cups and reserve.
10. In a large bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons peanut oil, lime juice, ginger, honey, mustard, soy sauce, and vinegar.
11. Just before serving, add chicken along with cabbage, radicchio, cashews, mandarins, cilantro, and green onions.
12. Toss thoroughly and season to taste with salt and red pepper flakes.
13. Serve in wonton cones.